Focus on Advocacy
We need your stories, we need your voice, and we need you! Help make PTA’s grassroots advocacy a success by connecting with legislators about our priorities during Focus Day and Focus on Advocacy Week.
Focus on Advocacy Week is scheduled for January 15-19, 2024. During this week, members can participate in daily calls to actions. Subscribe to WSPTA Action Alerts
Focus Day will be Monday, January 15, 2024 in Olympia and members are encouraged to meet with their legislators about our 2023-2025 Legislative Priorities. Use the resources in the toolkit below to make appointments and plan successful meetings.
Advocacy is not a one-day event; it is an everyday action. And so, we encourage members to continue to stay informed and engaged throughout the year, keeping our efforts focused on the mission. #WSPTAOneVoice
Focus on Advocacy Toolkit
Here are useful resources for advocating:
- How To Find Your Legislators
- School District & Legislative District 2023
- Subscribe to WSPTA Action Network
- How To Make Appointments with Legislators
- How to Have a Successful Meeting with Legislators
- Talking Points for Meeting with Legislators
- Focus on Advocacy Checklist for Success
- WSPTA Legislator Meeting Summary Form– Use this form to tell us how things went in your meetings during the Focus on Advocacy week as well as throughout the legislative session.
- To subscribe, sign up for Action Alerts
A video series about what to expect including the players, the challenges and what you can do to advocate for your PTA and your students.
- WSPTA Module 1: 2024 Legislative Session Preview with Marie Sullivan
- WSPTA Module 2: Advocacy Tips and Tools
- WSPTA Module 3: Bill Elements and Analysis
- Important Links from the 2024 Legislative Session Preview
WSPTA Legislative Priorities
To learn more about the WSPTA legislative priorities:
- WSPTA Advocacy page – where you can find one-pagers about all of our current legislative priorities
- 2023-2024 Legislative Priorities
- WSPTA Legislative Priorities Graphic
- WSPTA Resolutions
- WSPTA Legislative Principles
- WSPTA Federal Legislation
Additional Information and Links
Here are additional resources you can use for successful year-round advocacy:
- Tips for Testifying Virtually on Bills
- Remote Testimony, Written Testimony & Positions – Screen shots walk members through the process of participating in public hearings during committee proceedings.
- WSPTA Blog – The WSPTA blog has helpful information about everything from PTA leadership and governance, advocacy, membership, events, news, and much more! Throughout the legislative session, PTA advocates testify to the legislature on bills that align with our legislative priorities. Information about the testimony is posted in the WSPTA blog, search on the tag “testimony” to see the full list of posts.
- Understanding the Legislative Process – English version | Spanish version
- WSPTA Understanding the Legislative Process in Olympia video
- Citizen’s Guide to Effective Legislative Participation
- Guide to Reading a Bill
- Legislative Hotline 1-800-562-6000 – You can ask questions or send a message to a legislator via the legislative hotline.
- Subscribe to individual bill and bill topic feeds
Focus on Advocacy Engagement
2024 Legislative Panel Preview
On December 13, 2023 we held a webinar with capital budget leaders of the Washington State Legislature for a discussion about school construction funding and related priorities during the 2024 Legislative Session.
Senator Mark Mullet, Chair, Senate Capital Budget
Rep. Steve Tharinger, Chair, House Capital Budget
Rep. Mike Steele, Asst. Ranking Member, House Capital Budget
Leader from Senate Republican caucus
You can watch a recording of this Panel here.
What to Expect in the 2024 Legislative Session
On January 3, 2024 join WSPTA Legislative Consultant Marie Sullivan for an overview of what to expect in the 2024 legislative session, including known session protocols and how to best engage with the 2024 legislature during this short, 60-day session.
You can watch a recording of this session here.
Your actions throughout this week will be quick and easy but will make a tremendous impact. It will be so easy that you can take action from home, while waiting for a coffee order, or sitting in your child’s pick-up line!
WSPTA will be asking members to act virtually throughout Focus on Advocacy Week. Each day will focus on an important part of the WSPTA platform. The best way to participate is by subscribing to the WSPTA Action Network so that you receive the daily calls to action for this week and periodically throughout the legislative session. You will be provided with easily customizable messages that the action alert system will automatically send to your legislators. It is easy to do and only takes a few minutes! We also encourage you to share your advocacy work on your personal and PTA social media accounts throughout the week using the hashtag #WSPTAOneVoice.
What is Focus on Advocacy Day? We need WSPTA leaders and members to meet with their state representatives and senators to share the PTA mission and priorities. Let’s make sure the PTA voice is loud and proud on this day! You will be provided with everything you need to know in order to schedule and hold a successful meeting with your legislators. While these meetings would ideally be on Monday (Focus on Advocacy Day), they may need to be scheduled throughout the week to accommodate your legislators’ schedules. Can’t make it to Olympia? Schedule a remote meeting instead!