Advocacy & Legislative Resources
As a child advocacy organization that has been in existence for more than 100 years, Washington State PTA has a strong history of legislative actions. To support our members in their advocacy efforts, there are a number of resources to help them become educated on the topics and to become effective advocates.
Campaign & Election Guidelines
National PTA has partnered with Nonprofit VOTE to produce several resources around elections for our members. Visit the National PTA Election Guides page for permissible activities checklist, voter engagement timelines, hosting a candidate forum, and much more.
In addition, WSPTA has developed the following resources:
- Votes to Endorse/Support Ballot Measures: Steps for Local PTAs and Councils (May 2022)
- Candidate Forum Toolkit (September 2021)
- Running For Public Office (April 2020)
The Public Disclosure Commission (PDC) is a government agency created, and empowered by Initiative of the People, to ensure compliance with and equitable enforcement of Washington’s disclosure and campaign finance laws. Guidelines for School Districts in Election Campaigns is a resource that is intended to provide guidance regarding the Commission’s approach and interpretation of how the statutory prohibition on the use of public school facilities for campaigns impacts activities that may be contemplated by district personnel and other persons who may seek to utilize those public facilities.
Work Stoppage Guidelines
Washington State PTA and National PTA recommend their constituent PTAs and councils remain neutral during collective bargaining, presenting both sides factually, and to not use PTA funds or volunteers to man classrooms during a work stoppage. Local PTAs and councils can play a role during negotiations, as well as during and after work stoppages. Refer to the WSPTA Guidance For PTAs During Work Stoppages for more information.
This resource is provided by WSPTA to help understand the many acronyms used in the education space.
- 2023 Post-Session Debrief
- 2023 Legislative Session Scorecard
- 2022 Legislative Session Scorecard
- 2021 End of Legislative Session Report
- 2021 Legislative Session Report Card
- 2021 School Year Requirements
- 2020 Legislative Session Report Card
- 2020 End of Legislative Session Report
- 2019 End of Legislative Session Report
- 2018 End of Legislative Session Report