PTA members adopted a new set of legislative priorities focusing on all aspects of the health, safety, well-being and education of children – and 1.1 million students need YOU to be their voice on Focus Day, February 11, 2019.
What ARE our Priorities? How do you learn enough about them to communicate with legislators?
On the advocacy page, you will find our 2019 WSPTA Legislative Platform, and a detailed “issue one-page handout” for each legislative priority in the drop-down lists under “Legislative Platform.” These one-page handouts are great sources of talking points and can be given to legislators.
2019 WSPTA Legislative Priorities
- Social Emotional Learning
- School Construction and Simple Majority for Bonds
- Prevent Gun Violence
- Strategies to Address the Teacher Shortage
- Strategic K-12 Investments to Close Gaps
Also supported (in alphabetical order)
- Best Practices for School Meals – Lunch
- Best Practices for School Recess
- Engaging Families for Student Success
- Fund Paraeducator Training
- Increase Access to High-Quality Preschool
- Raise the Age of Tobacco and Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems to 21
- Safe School Plans and Emergency Preparedness
HOW do members advocate on our priorities?
WSPTA members can send a strong message by showing up in Olympia on Focus Day, February 11, 2019, for a day of talking to legislators. Members should consult with their local PTA, council or region legislative/advocacy chair for assistance in making legislator appointments for Focus Day.
The most important tip for those leaders is to make appointments with the legislators as far in advance as possible! Input addresses here to get the names of the Representatives and Senator(s) for your school district and their contact information.
WSPTA will be asking members to send prewritten emails each day during Advocacy Week – February 11 – 15, 2019. More information on Focus Day and Advocacy Week logistics will be coming soon. Subscribe to the WSPTA Action Network to stay informed.
We KNOW you care about kids – that’s why you are a PTA member! Imagine if legislators heard from all 130,000+ members about how much we care about kids! Every Child, One Voice!
Nancy Chamberlain, WSPTA Advocacy Director