October 25, 2017

Standards of Affiliation Reminder: TAXES

Nov. 15th is the Deadline to file your applicable IRS 990 form.

Every PTA must file an information return with the IRS. WSPTA sample IRS instructions, log in information, and schedules can be found in the password-protected Leadership Guides page of the website under the category Treasurer/Board Finance Resources, IRS Information.

Which form do we file?

  • IRS Form 990-N (e-postcard) – if your PTA “normally” has gross receipts of less than $50,000
  • IRS Form 990-EZ – if your PTA’s gross receipts “normally” exceed $50,000, but less than $200,000
  • IRS Form 990 – if your PTA’s gross receipts are over $200,000

The IRS will suspend the status of organizations that have failed to file a 990-series return for three consecutive years; these PTAs will automatically lose their tax-exempt status. Additionally, a PTA that fails to file a required return is subject to an IRS penalty of $20 per day for each day the failure continues.

What if we need an extension?

  • There is no extension for the 990-N.
  • Requests for an extension for 990-EZ or 990 must be made by November 15 of current year. File IRS Form 8868 (can file online) giving you until February 15 of current year. You can request a further extension until May 15 of current year, but it is not automatic (use same form to apply).

Note: The person filing needs to be an authorized individual of the PTA (any officer of the PTA) and she or he must have the authorization to act on behalf of the PTA.

What if we forgot to file taxes or the IRS contacts our PTA?

Additional information:

Contact Tatia Vasbinder at if you have further questions.

Category: Leadership

Back to Blog