- Review the 2022-23 Standards of Affiliation (SOA) Checklist.
- Host a training or roundtable at council membership meetings addressing timely SOA requirements.
- Offer support to local PTAs who may be struggling with any of the SOA requirements.
- At each council membership meeting, share the SOA items that your council has completed to model best practices.
- Work with your region director to support any local PTAs who finished last year with fewer than 25 members or any local PTAs without an approved membership waiver to ensure they return to good standing. These PTAs must enter 25 members into memberplanet by October 31.
- Provide support to local PTAs with the memberplanet database and encourage local PTAs to keep updating the membership database with officer and board member information.
- Work with your region director to support any local PTAs on the “no president list” or “no treasurer list.”
- Encourage local PTAs in their membership campaigns and promote membership contests.
- Share council and WSPTA in-person and online training opportunities with local PTAs and also share the updated WSPTA leader resources, including handbooks.
- Remind local PTA leaders to complete a year-end financial review and offer support if not completed by August 31.
- Discuss the health of local PTAs in your council at board of directors’ meetings. What support do they want/need?
- Encourage local PTA leaders to read Leadership News and share information about other WSPTA newsletters.
- Remind local PTA leaders of important .
- Remind local PTA leaders about the Annual Report for Nonprofit Corporations — *NEW for 2022* Report must be mailed (no online form available) and should be received by WA SOS by due date (not postmarked ).
- Remind local PTAs who have Washington State PTA as their registered agent, to confirm that the address on file is: Washington State PTA, 15 Oregon Ave, Suite 202, Tacoma WA 98409-7463. Updates can be made when filing their Annual Report with the WA Secretary of State or by accessing a Statement of Change.
October Monthly Tasks
Continue assisting with items from the “ongoing tasks” list.
Refer to the October Checklist for Running Your PTA.
Continue to report new council officers to WSPTA through the memberplanet database.
Encourage local PTAs to remain in good standing by entering at least 25 members in memberplanet by October 31.
Attend WSPTA Legislative Assembly and encourage local PTA leaders to register. The delegate identification period ends on October 12. For identified delegates to participate with voice and vote they must register by noon on October 6. Registration for any member wishing to attend classes and general sessions (in-person or remote) closes on October 6. Report back to members at the next meeting.
Elect council nominating committee. Share the importance of electing a nominating committee early in the year to give the committee time to work.
Share information about Washington State PTA’s Great PTA Sign Up Day – October 26
Councils are required to offer a Reflections program
Share program and training information regarding due dates for your Reflections program, so local PTAs can plan their programs accordingly.
Remind local leaders to share with members that the deadline for student’s to submit an entry into the Reflections Theme Search Contest is November 1. Learn more information here. Submit an entry here.
Check National PTA website
There are a ton of great materials to use in your membership campaign. Local leader resources. Spanish resources. Diversity, equity, and inclusion resources. In addition to grant and program opportunities.
Make sure board members take advantage of training opportunities
Make sure at least one elected officer attends PTA & the Law
Get all board members trained early. As dates become available they are posted to the website calendar and included in Leadership News.
Connect with your region director (RD) if your council wishes to use any WSPTA approved training materials and/or statewide marketing. Check the WSPTA Events Calendar to make sure your event doesn’t conflict with a state or region event, then reach out to your RD who can help you with getting materials and selecting classes.
Was your PTA Incorporated in October? If so, then your annual Corporation Renewal is due on October 31. The annual corporation report is due regardless of your PTA’s annual income and is separate from the Charitable Organization Registration/ Renewal.